Friday, July 16, 2010

Boating... Always an "experience" for us!!

Well I guess the best time to renew a commitment to blogging would be when something eventful happens and you feel like writing about it a little. I technically can't say I'm really going to commit to blogging regularly, but yeah, well... anyways our day was something that I'm sure I'd like to laugh about in a year or so. Actually it's not even that bad that I can't laugh at it today, it's just our "luck" I guess you could say.

So we decided last night that we might take the boat out to Sand Hollow today since we had some gas left over from the fourth of July trip we took to Lake Mead. There is a mussel problem in Sand Hollow right now and to be safe any time you take your boat to certain lakes you have to "decontaminate" it before you can boat in any local lake. So we hadn't done that yet either and needed to go to Sand Hollow to get the boat cleaned anyways. Well we got out of the house around 10am and as we got about to the top of Telegraph we heard something, sure enough one of the tires on the trailer was blown out. We were really in a perfect spot to pull off and park the boat to fix it. We get out and look around for the spare but the spare isn't on the trailer or in the truck!! So we had to leave the boat on the side of the road and head home to get the spare. We drive all the way back home, which is kinda far, and
Hmmmm no spare, we must have left it in the suburban when we sold it!!! UGHHHH... No biggie, we have to fix it, cause the boat is just parked in front of somebody's house and we need to get it. So we drive back to the boat and the tool that we have in the truck isn't the right size to get the wheel off. So now it's off to WalMart to get a jack tool. We drive back to the boat and get the wheel off so we can take it back into town and have it fixed.






It was such a hot day today.. and the kids really did a great job of keeping the fighting to a minimum. It took us till about 2:30 to get back on the road, and headed over to the lake. With all the ruckus we didn't even think that we needed to blow up the tube before we went out on the lake, but we forgot. We were sooooo HOT, that we just ended up dropping the anchor and swimming for a really long time. It felt really good. Those are the funnest times, when we're all just floating around in the water and laughing. I love it!!! The kids just kept climbing on the boat to jump off and try to do tricks into the water.

Soooo... a bad day, no..... just as we love to do, we took the longest route possible to get something done. I think we just naturally do things the "hard" way. But oh well, that's us!




















4 comments:

Julie Winder said...

I love your positive attitude and I can so so so relate. But, it is the way you face trials that make it all better. You did that beautifully! I am so glad you took pictures. It shows how much fun you had in spite of it all. I think your kids look like they had even more fun than if the boat ran, that water probably felt better than ever after the wait. Thanks for the uplifting post. I got into a fender bender last night and couldn't sleep.

Shari said...

Looks like you ended with a great time! Love your boat, We didn't get a chance to see it when we were down. Mark has been dreaming about another boat day after day. I wonder how long he will make it before we have another one. Great Memories, Great times!!

Hight Family said...

Julie, I know about fender benders, though it's been a while I think I've had about 4(all caused by me. oops). But it really sucks!! Sorry to hear that, hope you're having fun up north despite that! Looks like you had fun at "This is the Place". Oh my, my girls miss your girls soo bad! I miss you guys too. Hope to see you soon!!

Hight Family said...

Shari, we like our boat too. I told Dave a few weeks ago, if our car was that old I'd maybe be a little embarrassed to drive it around. But the boat, I don't care at all. It's always the ugliest boat on the lake, but we're having fun, so WHO CARES!! You are always welcome to come down and go out with us! It would be super fun!!!